Grasp set of dumbbells and hold them by your side. Position your feet about shoulder wide apart and stand completely straight, with slightly bend knees and your head looking forward. This will be your starting dumbbell romanian deadlift position.
Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift Execution
Take a deep breathe and start lower the dumbbells by leaning the torso forward at the waist and pushing with the hips way back. Continue to lowering the dumbbells until you feel a good stretch in your hamstrings. Then carefully change the direction of the movement and bring the dumbbells up by driving the hips forward and straightening your torso to the upright position as you breathe out.
- Keep the dumbbells as close to your body as possible during the movement to protect your lower back from injury.
- Maintain a straight back and keep your chest up during the movement.
- Keep your head in one line with your spine as you perform the dumbbell romanian deadlift.
- Your knees must be slightly bend (about 15-20 degrees knee flexion) during the movement.
- Keep your arms straight and don’t flex your elbows.
- Don’t raise your shoulders up during the movement.
- If you are new at this exercise give your self enough time to learn the right form and work on your hamstrings and glutes flexibility.
- Don’t use side mirrors to watch yourself during the exercise, this can cost you a neck injury. If you are not sure that you performing the exercise in the right way provide yourself an experienced partner to observe you during the movement and corrects your form