Place a flat bench under the smith machine and set the barbell at a height that you can reach with almost fully extended hands. Lie back on the bench so that your lower chest to be on one level with the bar. Put your feet firm on the floor and grasp the bar with pronated grip (palms facing your feet) with your hands about 20-25cm. apart. Unlock the bar from the rack and hold it above your chest. This will be your starting position.
As you breathe in start lower the bar in controlled manner until you almost touch the lower chest (just above your sternum). From this position carefully change the direction of the movement and bring the bar back to the starting position as you breathe out.
- Before you draw near to execution of Smith Machine Close-Grip Bench Press make sure you’ve positioned the bench so that the bar is exactly above your lower chest (slightly above the sternum).
- Grip the bar with your thumbs around the front, to prevent it from slipping.
- During the movement keep your elbows as close to your body as possible and your forearms perpendicular to the floor.
- To keep the tension on the triceps muscles and to minimize the involvement of the chest don’t go all the way down and don’t lock your elbows at the top.
- To perform the exercise safe and correct the negative phase of the movement should be twice longer than the positive.