Chest dips overview
The chest dip is a great mass and strength building exercise that can help you to improve your lower chest, shoulders and triceps. They are essential exercise for the upper body, just like squats for the lower body. To make the dips work for your chest you must learn the proper form of execution and how to target the tension only on the chest without using too much shoulders and triceps.
Grasp the dip bars with your palms facing in and position yourself on the bars with your knees bend and your lower legs crossed. Keep your arms slightly bended and lean forward. This is your starting position.
Chest dips execution
Inhale and slowly lower your body as you keep your torso lean forward and your elbows out. Continue to go down until your upper arms are parallel to the floor and you feel good stretch in your chest. Than flex your chest and bring yourself back as you exhale. Hold for a second at the top and squeeze your chest muscles. Repeat the movement for desired amount of reps.
- To put emphasize on the chest muscles use dip bars with а slight outward angle and position your hands wider than shoulder width.
- Keep your elbows pointed outward during the movement to put emphasis on the chest muscles.
- Always keep your elbows slightly bended and don’t lock your arms at the top of the movement this will help you to keep the tension on the chest.
- To protect your shoulder join from injury don’t go deeper than the point in which your upper arms are parallel to the floor.
- Perform the negative phase of the movement for twice longer time than the positive.
- The advanced can add weight by using a weight belt that allows the addition on weighted plates.