Place a flat bench under the smith machine and set the barbell at a height that you can reach with almost fully extended hands. Lie back on the bench so that your lower chest to be on one level with the bar. Put your feet firm on the floor and grasp the bar with pronated grip (palms facing your feet) with your hands at wider than shoulder width.(the right grip is those who creates a 90-degree angle between your forearms and upper arms in the middle portion of the movement). Unlock the bar from the rack and hold it above your chest. This will be your Smith Machine Bench Press starting position.
As you breathe in start lower the bar in controlled manner until you reach the lower chest. When you touch the chest carefully change the direction of the movement and bring the bar back to the starting position as you exhale. Contract the pecs at the top, hold for a second and repeat the movement for desire reps.
- Before you draw near to execution of exercise make sure you’ve positioned the bench so that the bar is exactly above your lower chest (slightly above the sternum).
- Grip the bar with your thumbs around the front, to prevent it from slipping.
- Keep the elbows pointed outward in order to fully involve the chest.
- Don’t lock your arms at the top of the movement, this would help you to keep the tension in the chest muscles.
- Keep your legs firm on the floor and don’t lift your head and glutes from the bench.
- Don’t bounce the weight of your chest, to perform the Smith Machine Bench Press safe and correct the negative phase of the movement should be twice longer than the positive.