The triceps dips are one of the best basic old school exercises which are beneficial for everybody – from the beginner to the advanced. They are great for triceps development and will give you overall size and strength in it. It’s preferable for the beginners and the intermediates to perform the exercise in the beginning of their workouts, because it requires good balance and overall power. The advanced can perform it at the end of their workout to pre exhaust the triceps and reach failure with him, rather than chest or shoulders.
Tricep Dips Preparation
Grasp the dip bars with your palms facing in and position yourself on the bars with your legs slightly bended and hanging right under you. Keep your arms almost extended and your body straight. This is your starting position.
Tricep Dips Execution
Breathe in and lower your body downwards as you keep your elbows in close to your body. Lower yourself until your upper arms and forearms form a 90 degree angle. Than breathe out and push your body back to the starting position by using your triceps. Squeeze the triceps for a moment at the top and begin the next repetition. Repeat the movement for desired amount of reps.
- To put emphasize on the triceps muscle use dip bars with а slight outward angle and position your hands at shoulder width apart.
- Keep your elbows pointed inward during the movement to put emphasis on the triceps muscles.
- Keep your elbows almost fully extended at the top of the movement to keep the tension on the triceps and reduce the pressure on the elbow joint.
- To protect your shoulder join from injury don’t go deeper than the point in which your upper arms are parallel to the floor.
- Perform the negative phase of the movement for twice longer time than the positive.
- The advanced can add weight by using a weight belt that allows the addition on weighted plates.